ASAM Integration: Six Dimensional Assessment through the Continuum (ASAM-I)
The American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM) Criteria, 3rd Edition, is the most widely used and comprehensive set of guidelines for assessment, placement, treatment planning, continued service, and transfer/discharge of clients with substance use and co-occurring disorders. The Criteria utilizes six dimensions to form a broad assessment, which in turn provides information for service and treatment planning across all levels of care.
This online Enhanced Professional Learning (EPL) interactive series will provide collaborative training and real-time practice opportunities essential to the development and/or refinement of applying Criteria in a clinical setting. Emphasis is placed on applying Criteria for in-depth assessment, proper placement, service and treatment planning, continued service and transfer/discharge of clients.
Every Monday, October 17 – December 5, 2022, 1:00 – 2:30 pm Central
**There is no session on Monday, November 21, 2022, the week of Thanksgiving and Native American Heritage Day holidays.**
At the end of the ASAM-I Enhanced Professional Learning Series, participants will be able to:
- Classify each of the five broad ASAM Levels of Care that reflect a Continuum of Care
- Explore, through participation in group discussions and activities, how to apply the ASAM criteria for placement into a level of care
- Explain the ASAM 0-4 Risk Rating and overall Severity Rating for proper level of care recommendations
- Formulate how to develop behavioral-focused treatment goals based on Six Dimensional Assessment properly using Six Dimensional Assessment results
- Recognize and discuss the three concepts of continued service, transfer, and discharge criteria
External Book Requirement
- The ASAM Criteria: Treatment Criteria for Addictive, Substance-Related, and Co-Occurring Conditions (American Sociality of Addiction Medicine, Third Edition, 2013)
Target Audience are Clinical Supervisors Who:
- Work in the behavioral health, substance use disorders, and recovery support services field located in Minnesota
- Current use of the ASAM Criteria in clinical practice
- Foundational knowledge of the ASAM Criteria
Participant Commitment & Expectations:
- Attend a live 1-hour orientation on October 17
- Commit to 6-weeks of training for 1.5 hours weekly from October 24 – December 5 (skipping the session on November 21)
- Complete 1-hour of weekly learning activities outside of the sessions
- Access to appropriate technology to use Zoom videoconferencing platform (internet connection, webcam, computer/tablet, speakers and microphone)
- Access the book, The ASAM Criteria: Treatment Criteria for Addictive, Substance-Related, and Co-Occurring Conditions (American Sociality of Addiction Medicine, Third Edition, 2013)
- Be prepared, engage, and actively participate/present findings while on camera during each session
Mark Disselkoen MSSW, LCSW, LCADC
Michelle Padden MSW, LSW, CSW
This series is available to you at no cost.
The first 30 registrants will receive a waiver that covers the entire $500 cost of participation. Once the 30 spots have been filled, registration will be closed. Due to limited enrollment, if you cannot commit to the full requirements, please defer this opportunity to others.
Continuing Education (CEs/CEHs)
The series has been approved for a total of 16 contact hours (1-hour orientation and 15-hours content instruction) through the National Association for Addiction Professionals (NAADAC), International Certification & Reciprocity Consortium (IC&RC), and the National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) ACEP No. 6492. No credit will be awarded for non-attendance or partial attendance. The knowledge and skills learned should be applied within the framework of any applicable operating and/or credentialing regulations in your State of practice.
Registrants enrolled in this series are required to attend the first two weeks. If you cannot attend these sessions, you will forfeit your attendance. Due to limited enrollment, if you cannot commit to the full participant requirements, please defer this registration opportunity to others. In addition, it is expected that participants will have access to the appropriate technology by Week 2 to fully participate and be on camera during the session. This is not a webinar series and active participation is required to gain/improve skills. Registration is not transferable to another person.
If you have questions, please email the NFARtec Workwise Staff at email@example.com
Disclaimer: “ASAM,” “American Society of Addiction Medicine,” “ASAM Logo,” the ASAM logos and taglines, are registered trademarks of ASAM, and are used with permission. Use of these terms is prohibited without permission of ASAM. Use of these trademarks does not constitute endorsement of this training, product, or practice by ASAM.