ASAM Integration: Six Dimensional Assessment through the Continuum (ASAM-I)
This training is relevant to providers interested in participating in MN’s 1115 Substance Use Disorder System Reform demonstration project. Minnesota published standards for the demonstration incorporating ASAM criteria (PDF) to establish specific residential and outpatient levels of care in October 2020. The federal demonstration, through the implementation of ASAM Criteria, seeks to enhance evidence-based assessment and placement criteria for the purposes of matching individual risk with the appropriate ASAM level of care and increase standards for treatment coordination to ensure care transitions to additional needed services.
We are seeking addiction treatment champions to learn and implement this widely used and comprehensive set of guidelines from ASAM in their organization.
The American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM) Criteria, 3rd Edition, is the most widely used and comprehensive set of guidelines for assessment, placement, treatment planning, continued service, and transfer/discharge of clients with substance use and co-occurring disorders. The Criteria utilizes six dimensions to form a broad assessment, which in turn provides information for service and treatment planning across all levels of care.
This online Enhanced Professional Learning (EPL) interactive series will provide collaborative training and real-time practice opportunities essential to the development and/or refinement of applying Criteria in a clinical setting. Emphasis is placed on applying Criteria for in-depth assessment, proper placement, service and treatment planning, continued service and transfer/discharge of clients.
Thursdays, February 4, 2021 to March 18, 2021
11:00 AM – 12:30 PM CST
At the end of the ASAM-I Enhanced Professional Learning Series, participants will be able to:
- Describe the continuum of care by Levels of Service
- Demonstrate, through participation in group discussions and activities, how to apply the six Dimensional Assessment for placement into a level of care
- Explain the ASAM 0-4 Risk Rating and overall Severity Rating for proper level of care recommendations
- Describe how to develop behavioral focused treatment goals based on Six Dimensional Assessment properly using Six Dimensional Assessment results
- Define and discuss Continued Service, Transfer and Discharge Criteria
- Behavioral health, substance use disorders, and recovery service providers located in the Great Lakes ATTC region (HHS Region 5)
- Baseline knowledge and current utilization of the Criteria in clinical practice
External Book Requirement
- The ASAM Criteria: Treatment Criteria for Addictive, Substance-Related, and Co-Occurring Conditions (American Sociality of Addiction Medicine, Third Edition, 2013)
Participant Commitment & Expectations:
- Attend a live one-hour Orientation on February 4th (refer to chart above for scheduled dates/times in your time zone)
- Read Chapter 1 & 7 in The ASAM Criteria (3rd Edition) prior to the first session on July 21 (see chart above for scheduled dates/times in your time zone)
- Participate in a 6-week online learning community: 1.5 hours sessions on scheduled series days/time and complete 1.0 hour of weekly learning activities
- Access to appropriate technology to utilize online videoconferencing platform (i.e., an internet connection, built-in or USB webcam, laptop/tablet, built-in/USB/Bluetooth speakers and microphone)
- Be prepared and actively engage while on camera 90% of the scheduled series time
Mark Disselkoen MSSW, LCSW, LCADC
Michelle Padden MSW, LSW, CSW
This series is available to you at no cost.
Space is limited to the first 30 registrants who will receive a grant-funded scholarship that covers the entire $380 cost of participation. As a grant-sponsored scholarship and to receive continuing education hours, it is expected participants will be prepared for and join each session; and actively engage in group discussions. Due to limited enrollment, if you cannot commit to the full participant requirements, please defer this registration opportunity to others.
Continuing Education (CEs/CEHs)
This series has been approved for a total of 16 contact hours through the National Association for Addiction Professionals (NAADAC), International Certification & Reciprocity Consortium (IC&RC), and the National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) ACEP No. 6492.
The ASAM-I series meets the qualifications for the provision of up to sixteen (16) continuing education credits/contact hours (CEs/CEHs).
CE credit will be awarded at the conclusion of the series for full-session participation. Partial credit will not be available for those participants who arrive any particular session late or leave early. Make-up work will not be provided or accepted.
Registrants enrolled in this series are expected to attend the first two sessions. If you cannot attend these sessions you will forfeit your spot to attend and be automatically dropped from the series. In addition, it is expected that participants will have access to the appropriate technology by Week 2 to fully participate and be on camera at least 90% of the time. This is not a webinar series and active participation to gain/improve skills are required
Please contact the NFARtec Workwise Staff at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 775-784-6265 or 866-617-2816 (toll-free).
Disclaimer: “ASAM,” “American Society of Addiction Medicine,” “ASAM Logo,” the ASAM logos and taglines, are registered trademarks of ASAM, and are used with permission. Use of these terms is prohibited without permission of ASAM. Use of these trademarks does not constitute endorsement of this training, product, or practice by ASAM.
All links in this series will open up as new windows in your browser. Please contact Workwise if you have any access issues.